Thursday, January 30, 2014

MDF Tea Chest!

I have been loving my MDF from Craftslane for sometime now and I love to explore and experiment different ways of dressing these pretties up.

Oh and without a doubt, I love boxes. Actually they are kind of my first love (sorry DH, it isn't you :D)
I have had my eye on this 6 Partitioned Tea Chest from Craftslane for a while now. I think it would make for a great organiser. I can think of so many ways to use it. I could put loose change in it, maybe some jewellery, Aadya's hair accessories, buttons and sew supplies, or how about some Pot Pourri?

Here's how my box looks after I finished working on it <3 p="">







Here's how I did it.

1. Using Acrylic paint, paint the box in the colors desired. I painted the inside black and the outside in a shade of yellow. Let dry.
2. Give another coat of paint if needed. I did two coats on the outside and one on the inside.
3. Then using your choice of stamps(I used Penny Black) and Black Stazon ink stamp on the box. I stamped the flowers and leaves and then drew the stamps free hand with acrylic color.
4. Using acrylic colors, color in the stamped image. I used a couple of shades(blues & purples) for the flowers and a few different shades for the leaves and stems to get the desired result.
5. Let dry completely.
6. Outline the images with black acrylic paint and liner brush if needed to bring the images out.
7. Apply a coat of varnish. I used my all time favorite Mod Podge with a foam brush to seal the deal :)
8. Let dry completely for a couple of hours.

Isn't it beautiful? Painting this was a bit of an effort but totally worth it. It gives me that feel of old, vintage hand painted boxes, totally love it :)

Entering this for Color Conceptions Challenge#6 - 3B's Boxes/Bags/Baskets.

1 comment:

  1. I love the stamping and coloring on this treasure of a box. Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete