Skip to main content

Thursday Tutorial#2: Recycled Notebook

So I have finally decided that Thursday will be a tutorial day here on this blog. I have lots of tricks, tips and  techniques that I want to share with you and I think one tutorial a week is a fairly good idea. And I am not limiting myself to just videos here. There will be picture tutorials, DIYs, product demos(on request) and ofcourse videos. So keep the tutorial requests coming :)

I already shared the very first video tutorial in the series last Thursday on woodgrain background. Check it out if you haven't done it already :)

Today I have a picture tutorial on the recycled notebooks I shared HERE. They are super easy and fun to make and the best part is that they are recycled :)

I have always loved recycling but these days I have been super-inspired to recycle because of some of my loved challenges. First is the newly started LESSology Challenge#1 - The Altered Book (I love the talented people on the team there), second is the Recycle with Lynn Challenge at Yvonne's blog and third is the CraftyJC Challenge#9 - Recycle. I already have so many ideas to recycle on my mind but lets get started with this one first :)

Tutorial: Recycled Notebooks

Step 1: Pick up a cardboard ready to be recycled(we often get new clothes packed with cardboard pieces in between). I picked up one from Jockeys

 those boxers are the most comfortable piece of clothing to sleep in :D 

Step 2: Pick up some pretty pattern papers and cover the cardboard piece.


                  The Front                                                         The Back


Step 3: On the back side, adhere a eyelet (It will be used to keep the book tied together). I used a flower in addition, just to pretty things up :) The notebook cover is almost ready. Keep it aside.



Step 4: For the inside pages, use any kind of papers that you want to (lined, plain white printer paper, etc). Since I was recycling, I used some project file papers from college time that had been lying around the house for almost 6 years now. Fold them in half and using your paper trimmer/ Xacto Knife, cut them to size of the notebook cover.


Step 5: Now we are ready to bind our little notebook. Using a hole piercer./big needle, make 2 holes in the center and bind the pages along with the cover using embroidery floss/twine/burlap or anything else that you like.
I continued with my recycling bit and tore of a strip of chiffon cloth from an old dress sleeves. It was a perfect match for my notebook color and I love the texture it adds.


Step 6: Embellish/decorate the cover as much or as less as you like. I kept it simple with an journaling card attached to the center.
Add a button towards the edge of the front cover. I prefer to stitch it for more sturdiness but you can also use hot glue, if you'd like.

Step 7: As the last step, tie one end of the embroidery floss/twine around the eyelet that we added in step 3. and wrap the other end of the embroidery floss/twine loosely to the button on the front. And now you have a string to keep your book closed together.


And there you have it, a wonderful little notebook to cherish :)

I hope you enjoyed this tutorial and if you come up with your own version of this notebook, don't forget to leave me a comment on this post. I would love to visit and take a look.

If you have any questions or specific tutorial requests or product demo requests, let me know.

And yes, join me tomorrow for Lawnscaping bloghop. It is going to be real fun with lots of inspiration and prizes :)

Thanks for visiting today!

Comments

  1. Ok Ujjwal... This is a masterpiece.. Seriously.. I really want to try this and maybe I would.. If i have the guts to go overboard doing something like this...But I promise I will have a go at it.. Thank you so much for playing along with CraftyJC(I am finding it weird saying this to you.. :-|)... but this is absolutely fantastic and frickin' awesome and i think i should stop before I reach the word limit for posting comments.. :D

    Hugs,
    Khush

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's such a simple project and looks awesome Ujjwal! Thanks for sharing the tutorial and for playing along with my guest Lynn's recycling challenge! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic upcycling Ujjwal!! Those PPs look so gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely Ujjwal - I am also full of ideas as I love recycling only constraint is the time!
    Good idea to share tutorials Ujjwal

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty and a great idea.I have been racking my brains for he same challenge and will try this one.It looks elegant and simple.thanks for sharing the tutorial and for inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi ujjwal! i so love what you've done with this cute notebook! i esp. love the bit of chiffon as binding--so clever:) thanks for playing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this thing!! So easy to make and yet so beautiful. Can you please share how to store stamps and scrap papers?

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a beauty. Love your idea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great upcycling...love this..maybe I should give it a try too!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful project. I love that you used an eyelet to hold it all together. Thanks so much for playing along with us at LESSology. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much for sharing girl!!i thought of asking abt this to you.Beautiful:).

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW!.. Pretty notebooks!.. Look wow! :D
    Love the idea of using a flower along with the eyelet! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a brilliant idea, absolutely love it! Can't wait to make one for myself. Thanks for playing along with the CraftyJC challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  14. How super is your Notebook?!!! Excellent upcycling!!! Thanks Sooo much for joining us at LESSology!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow.. this is lovely.. thanks for the tutorial also girl! :) Soo generous with ur time! love the papers and the buttons and the recycled ribbon you've used :)

    And thanks for playing along at CraftyJC Challenge :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I could never have imagined something like this could come out of the Jockey box.... And I threw out so many....:( Just super.....

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh I love this project! :) I have to make a notebook for my MIL and this seems to be the perfect one... Thanks for sharing!

    Hugs,
    Smita

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fun and practical, what a project! Thanks for playing along with us at LESSology!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ujjwal,

    This is truly one of my fav works of yours!! I loved the outcome and the colours are just fab!!!

    Would love to try it out myself sometime!

    Thanks for participating at the Crafty JC Challenge!

    Great going

    Cheers!!
    Karuna
    www.craftingqueen.in

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great notebook : )
    Thanks for playing with us at LESSology. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. super fine project Ujjwal! I thought I commented on this one :/

    ReplyDelete
  22. This one is just super fine............ I loved the way you have explained each and every step....

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the transformation! Such a great way to upcycle an old flyer or brochure or catalog. And so darn useful, too. Thanks so much for playing along with us at LESSology for our very first challenge. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow! What a great idea! Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is AMAZING!!! Thanks for the how to! Thanks soooooooooooooo much for playing along with LESSology! :):):):):):):):):):):)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Simple and sooo much fun, I will sure make some of these soon. Thanks for the great idea!

    Marlies

    ReplyDelete
  27. I have to try this once, how gorgeous!
    thanks for playing!

    ReplyDelete
  28. awesum recycling.....u are a great recycler ..!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow..its so pretty. Love the idea.

    Sudha
    sudha-kalra.blogspot.in
    crazycrafter-craftsuppliesshop.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Diwali Wishes

Hello people!! The weekend is so near that it makes me happy already :D Finally I started on my Diwali cards for this year. I know I am terribly late but I am trying to make it up. For my readers who aren't aware of the Diwali festival, Diwali is known as the festival of lights and one of the biggest festivals in India signifying the victory of good over evil. This year we are celebrating Diwali on 5 November. We celebrate by decorating our houses, lighting candle, fireworks, lots of good food, and lots and lots of sweets (I love this part :D) 


Okay now enough of blabbering, here is a card a made for the Moxie Fab World Challenge - Perfectly Placed Pleats  and Speedy the Cat's Friend's Challenge - Stitching


Look how the paper pleats make for the cutest candles. Doesn't that stitched sentiment look pretty too?

After I made one and liked it, I went crazy experimenting with colors, size, and various different things :D
Here is another variations I came up with.


I know I w…

Birthday Explosion Box!

Here is something that I am very proud of. This was my first attempt at a 3D paper cake and I adore how it turned out. More loved because I am not really a pink girl and this explosion is all pink and I still love it :)



Don't ya love that cake? By the way, I recycled the "Happy Birthday" from an actual birthday cake :D
I am entering this for the Lessology Challenge#29 - Birthday Party Lulupu Challenge#17 - Fancy Me (I fancy special fold cards and I fancy trying out new things) Itsy Bitsy Challenge - Pretty with Pink (Pink, pearls, pattern papers, posy, paper clips, photographs)
Hope you fellas like it !

Emma Lou’s Birthday Blog Hop!

Hello,

This is a very special post for a very special person! Emma Lou is the creative director at Heartfelt Creations and I feel so happy to have worked with her in the past and to know her a little bit better. She is an amazing person, very talented and super sweet. And today we have got together to celebrate her special day through a blog hop.

Wishing you a very Happy Birthday and a fabulous year ahead! I hope you have a great day with your family and friends!

Here's the card I created for her. I heat embossed the background stamp on vellum and then colored on the backside using Chameleon Pens. A simple vellum card that I hope she will like :)




Also, the Heartfelt Creations team is super sweet and offering a $25 gift certificate to shop at Heartfelt Creations for hopping along and leaving a comment on participating blogs. The hop starts at 8 am EST on Thursday 11th August 2016 and closes on Tuesday 16th August at midnight. So hop along for a chance to win.

The winner of the blog…