Skip to main content

Happy Birthday + Tips on stamping

Thank you so much for all your wonderful comments the last few posts! I am glad  that you are enjoying the Q&A section and finding it helpful! Keep the questions coming, I love answering them :D

So, after my last two successful adventures with pattern paper, I am back today with my first love - one layer card which is also the challenge at Lawnscaping Challenge#16 . Its a simple one with lot of stamping and masking and also a feeble attempt at masculine cards(I am no good with cards for men :) ) because I wanted to play along the Wee Memories Challenge#64 - Masculine.




Supplies: cardstock: Elle Erre Fabriano!; stamps:Lawn Fawn (Sew Lovely), Skipping Stones(Grunge); ink: Jenni Bowlin(Brown sugar,Cough Syrup), Unity Stamp Co. (french Lilac, raw sienna), Momento(Lady Bug),Distress Ink(Shabby Shutters);embellishment: Brads(Basic Grey),Twine

While making this card, I realized I was out of green ink and so the green ink on this card is a little worn out but it adds to the grunge masculine feel so I like it. To create the frame, I placed the brads first and then wrapped the twine around ending with a bow.

Sorry for the blurry close-up picture. Even after been  reminded to turn the Macro on for close-ups, I somehow keep forgetting  to do that :)

I hope you like it!

Tips on Stamping

A few of you asked for some tips on stamping and so I have compiled a few here taken from internet resources and my own experience. You might already be aware of few or all them but I just though I'd share.

1. Make sure you use a good quality paper and ink. Most of the times its a bad quality ink thats the culprit for poor stamping because it blotches/bleeds.I like using Momento, Jenni Bowlin, Unity, ColorBox pigment inks and there are lots of other good quality brands out there. Remember there are different kinds of ink that work best on different kinds of surface.

   A.  Dye based Inks seems to work best for most stamping, but it is water soluble, so it won’t work on a slick or glossy surface surface as there is no place for the ink to go.  It dries almost instantly.  Jenni Bowlin, Momento are some of the available dye-based ink brands.

    B.  Chalk Inks, like Dye based ink, dries fast and does not work well with the glossy or slick card stock.

    C.  Pigment inks take longer to dry and are good to use when you want to emboss the image after stamping it.  These work on the Glossy surfaces and will work well with embossing powders.  If not embossing, either heat set or give the project time to dry.

    D.  The Staz-On Inks will really stain your stamps and the quicker you clean them off, the cleaner they will become.  They are more permanent kind of inks that work on Acetate and any other surface.Unity Co. inks work almost like Staz-On

    E   Alcohol Inks are made to work on glossy surfaces, and work particularly well on Glass & Metals.

2. Different types of stamps require different amount of pressure while stamping. Try stamping on a scratch piece of paper first, applying different amount of pressure and with a little practice you'll know what works best for what stamps. Usually small, fine-lined stamps require little pressure and the big solid ones require more but it also depends on the stamp brand you are using (Hero Arts big stamps require much less pressure as compared to others).

3. When you go to use stamp, press it straight down on the paper. Press down with several fingers but don't rock the stamp or move it - this causes the halos. Then lift the stamp straight up off the paper. The easiest way to insure you are always going straight up and down is to stand up when you ink and stamp your images. 

4. Keep a Mouse pad/ Cutting mat/Magazine under your card stock while stamping.It provides a cushion and enables better stamped images.

5. Make sure your surface is stable and not wobbly. Use a good table that can take pressure when you stamp. Don't try stamping in your lap (I have been there, done that and it doesn't work :D )

6. If you are just starting out with stamping, don't stamp on your card base directly. Instead try stamps that you can cut and layer on your card. There are less chance of spoiling your card base this way.

7. Don't be hard on yourself. It's OK to make mistakes. Don't give up if you don't get it right the first time, practice and learn and once you are there, you won't be able to stop stamping.

I hope this post was helpful for you and you will pick up a tip or two. If you put these tips to use, don't forget to let me know your experience and if any of it was helpful.

Have fun stamping !

Comments

  1. This is an awesome card.. love those squiggly lines.. :D and hat frame thing you crated out of brads... and thanks for all the tips on stamping.. although very addictive.. I am still very scared.. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so so much girl! Very useful tips!! And again a fab card. You are a stamping queen :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliantly simple and yet awesome card....just your style.Thanks for the very useful tips on stamping.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its just lovelyyyyyyyy.... I am loving the way you use your stamp to the fullest... I toh goes blank after 1st impression... you have mad a whole card out of stamping only... You are the stamping Queeen!!!!
    and thanks alot for the tips! I made a mistake by buying only one big 6 x 4 inches acrylic block... Now even for small stamps I have to use that which makes the acrylic block to wobble... :(

    anyways will keep in mind all the pointers you gavw here... Thanks a tonn...!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely card,the frame looks so good.Even i feel it very difficult to make male cards:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabbie card!.. LOVE the stamping!.. Super WOW! :D
    And the tips are awesome too.. thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely cute creation. Thanks for the tips.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are some awesome tips for beginners!! and really really useful...
    And Gosh!! do I even really need to praise this card..this is like freaking awesome!! I think I say that for all your cards...you totally think outside the darn box!! super super awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely stamping tips-- I am yet to stamp a card!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so awe-inspiring...I cna't believe it's not pre-printed paper. Amazing stamp work, and thank you for the tips! I have a stamp similiar to this and I'm gonna have to scraplift your idea! Just wonderful, thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is absolutely fabulous! I love all the squigley lines around the twined frame... Perfect card for BOTH challenges........ I am so glad you played along with us! And thank you for the helpful tips as well. Very insightful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your Q&A section. You are getting more awesome at it day by day! *hugs*
    I love the way you have stamped the CS and framed it with jute string, looks like a different panel and not just OL Card.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely card, Ujjwal! :) Please do check my blog.. I have tagged you with a few awards.. I did not know how else to reach you other than commenting here.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. beautiful card.... thanks for the useful tips...
    have posted ur tips in my blog,
    vcraft.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ujjwal, I love how you used one border stamp to create an entire card! It looks wonderful here and I love how there is some purple thread embedded inside the burlap string.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fabulous card, Ujiwal. Thanks so much for playing with us at Wee Memories. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the jute frame and the rainbow squiggly stamping! Thanks for playing with us at Wee Memories Scrappy Saturday Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those tips --I had been eagerly waiting for them!! Sure was of best help!! and the card is rocking!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Diwali Wishes

Hello people!! The weekend is so near that it makes me happy already :D Finally I started on my Diwali cards for this year. I know I am terribly late but I am trying to make it up. For my readers who aren't aware of the Diwali festival, Diwali is known as the festival of lights and one of the biggest festivals in India signifying the victory of good over evil. This year we are celebrating Diwali on 5 November. We celebrate by decorating our houses, lighting candle, fireworks, lots of good food, and lots and lots of sweets (I love this part :D) 


Okay now enough of blabbering, here is a card a made for the Moxie Fab World Challenge - Perfectly Placed Pleats  and Speedy the Cat's Friend's Challenge - Stitching


Look how the paper pleats make for the cutest candles. Doesn't that stitched sentiment look pretty too?

After I made one and liked it, I went crazy experimenting with colors, size, and various different things :D
Here is another variations I came up with.


I know I w…

Birthday Explosion Box!

Here is something that I am very proud of. This was my first attempt at a 3D paper cake and I adore how it turned out. More loved because I am not really a pink girl and this explosion is all pink and I still love it :)



Don't ya love that cake? By the way, I recycled the "Happy Birthday" from an actual birthday cake :D
I am entering this for the Lessology Challenge#29 - Birthday Party Lulupu Challenge#17 - Fancy Me (I fancy special fold cards and I fancy trying out new things) Itsy Bitsy Challenge - Pretty with Pink (Pink, pearls, pattern papers, posy, paper clips, photographs)
Hope you fellas like it !

Emma Lou’s Birthday Blog Hop!

Hello,

This is a very special post for a very special person! Emma Lou is the creative director at Heartfelt Creations and I feel so happy to have worked with her in the past and to know her a little bit better. She is an amazing person, very talented and super sweet. And today we have got together to celebrate her special day through a blog hop.

Wishing you a very Happy Birthday and a fabulous year ahead! I hope you have a great day with your family and friends!

Here's the card I created for her. I heat embossed the background stamp on vellum and then colored on the backside using Chameleon Pens. A simple vellum card that I hope she will like :)




Also, the Heartfelt Creations team is super sweet and offering a $25 gift certificate to shop at Heartfelt Creations for hopping along and leaving a comment on participating blogs. The hop starts at 8 am EST on Thursday 11th August 2016 and closes on Tuesday 16th August at midnight. So hop along for a chance to win.

The winner of the blog…